Welcome to the hanging garden of Nucla. Our lovely oasis draws its water from the San Miguel via the CC Ditch which was dug by a socialist commune for over 10 years beginning in 1894. The ditch waters a mesa 350 feet above the river after a 15 mile ride up the canyon wall from the head gate. They got water to the park in 1904 and the Town of Nucla was formally incorporated in 1915. The town now sits below desert plateaus leading to the Uncompaghre divide and overlooks fertile fields, orchards and meadows fed by the lattice of ditches and canals.